Fe

The fact that Iron causes the redness in the rock is obvious. The question that I have is whether it is Ferrous or Ferric that is present.

When I was a freshman in high school I took a correspondence geology course at the local community college. The program worked like this: you check out a series of video tapes, take a test then repeat. I watched five minutes of the first video and found it too boring. So I just went in and took the test. Every two weeks or so I would go in and take a test. No videos, no reading, nothing occurred in between. I got a B+ in the course, the problem is that I didn't learn a thing (shocking I know). I am now really kicking myself . If only I had applied myself then I could be spewing all kinds of useless info onto Ainsley's defenseless little ears right now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
sure there was F, but was there any S?
Tony said…
Oddly enough I do believe that there was some sulfur present. I tried to aggitate some of the yellow powder on some of the rocks to see if it smelled like sulfur but it didn't work. So either this was a poor attempt or it wasn't sulfur at all.
Anonymous said…
as long as you didnt try until your hands were black and bleeding.

We miss you! come back soon!!